Sexual Assault and Sexual Violence Protocol

Cambrian’s Commitment to Survivors of Sexual Assault is as follows.

Anyone who has experienced sexual violence has the right to:

  • be treated with dignity and respect,
  • be believed,
  • be informed about on and off-campus services and resources,
  • decide whether or not to access available services and to choose those services he/she feel will be most beneficial,
  • decide whether to report to campus security and/or local police,
  • have an on-campus investigation with the institution’s full cooperation,
  • have a safety plan, and
  • have reasonable and necessary actions taken to prevent further unwanted contact with the alleged perpetrator(s).

1. If You Have Experienced Sexual Violence

Survivors, or anyone affected by sexual violence may seek out any number of the services listed below at any time; however, immediately after a sexual assault, they may wish to consider the following steps:

A. Go to a safe place and seek out help.

  • If you are on or off campus, call or go to a trusted individual or friend; or
  • If you are on the Barrydowne campus you can call Campus Security Services at 705-566-8101, ext. 7911 – they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; or
  • If you are elsewhere, you can call Emergency Services at 911.

B. Get medical attention as soon as possible.

Go to your nearest Hospital Emergency Department.

  • For the Sudbury area, go to Health Sciences North Emergency Department triage (41 Ramsey Lake Rd), and ask to have the Violence Intervention and Protection Program (VIPP) Nurse on-call paged. The VIPP nurse will respond within 30-45 minutes to meet with you to discuss your treatment and support. The hospital is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Assessment is confidential.
  • In Espanola, go to the Emergency Department of the Espanola Regional Hospital and Health Centre located at 825 McKinnon Dr. The hospital is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • In Little Current, go to the Emergency Department of the Manitoulin Health Centre located at 11 Meredith Street. The Centre is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can also call the VIPP unit directly at 705-675-4743, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. or contact them at the following email address:

C. Consider reporting.

If you want to report the assault, you have several options that you can proceed with as soon as you are ready. The following areas can help you file reports:

  • Manager, Equity, Human Rights and Accessibility at 705-566-8101, ext. 7235, Mondays to Fridays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, or
  • Campus Security Services 705-566-8101, ext. 7298 after 4:30 p.m. on weekdays or anytime on weekends, or
  • Residence Service Desk and ask for the on-call Manager at 705-566-8101, ext. 7583, or
  • Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) at 705-566-8101, 7729, or
  • Supervisor, if you are an employee of the College, or
  • Local Police Services
    • In Sudbury, call 705-675-9171
    • In Espanola, call 705-869-3251
    • In Little Current, call 1-888-310-1122

We strongly encourage you to disclose and report incidents of sexual violence; however it is entirely up to you if you choose to do so. Survivors or anyone affected by sexual violence are not required to report an incident of, or make a complaint about sexual violence, in order to obtain supports and services or to receive accommodation. We recognize that this may be emotionally difficult and you may want to reach out to resources available to you. Find more resources on the Safe at Cambrian website.

D. Seek out support.

  • Students can access STUDENT LIFELINE by calling 1-877-418-1537, tty/tdd 1-877-371-9978, (user id: mycambrian, password: lifeworks)
  • Students can call Counselling at 705-566-8101, ext. 7311 or contact them via email at
  • Students can contact elders through the Wabnode Centre for Aboriginal Services.
  • Employees of the College can access Cambrian’s Employee & Family Assistance Program 24/7 at 800-890-9052 or through the “myEAP” app.
  • Women can call the Assaulted Women’s Helpline 24/7 at 1-866-863-0511.
  • Men can call the Sexual Assault Crisis Line for Men 24/7 at 1-866-887-0015.

Should you want advice on how to navigate the college systems and services, please contact the following areas for assistance:

  • The Office of the Associate Vice-President, Student Services at 705-566-8101, ext. 7294, room 3006 or via email at;
  • The Students’ Administrative Council (SAC) at 705-566-8101, ext. 7729 or room 1164, or;
  • Wabnode Centre for Aboriginal Services at 705-566-8101, ext. 7700 or room 2133.

2. If You Would like to File a Formal Complaint

Survivors of sexual assault may choose a criminal and/or non-criminal option for reporting.

Criminal Complaint

Any community members may pursue criminal charges under the Criminal Code of Canada through the police services.

Non-criminal Complaint

If survivors would like to make a non-criminal complaint to the College, the Manager, Equity, Human Rights and Accessibility can explain the processes available through the Sexual Assault and Sexual Violence Policy and Protocol. Depending on the circumstances, non-criminal options may include, but are not limited to: “no contact” undertakings with the alleged assailant, on or off-campus safety planning, class scheduling and other academic accommodations, and/or workplace accommodations.

  • Campus Security Services may impose or facilitate interim measures to restrict access to some college facilities by the alleged perpetrator where the College determines there may be a safety risk.
  • If either the survivor or the alleged perpetrator is a student living in Residence, the College may take immediate steps to protect the survivor and potential witnesses, the College community, or any of its members. For instance, the General Manager, Residence may deem it necessary to provide the survivor/complainant and/or the alleged perpetrator/respondent with alternative housing assignments during an investigation.
  • If the survivor/complainant or alleged perpetrator/respondent is an employee of the College, the College may impose or facilitate interim measures such as, but not limited to, moving the respondent to a different department, or placing the respondent on an administrative leave of absence pending resolution of the complaint.

The use of College administrative processes does not preclude the use of other options outside the College such as criminal proceedings.

3. What to Do if You Have Witnessed Sexual Violence

If you witness sexual violence, please call or visit:

  • Campus Security Services at 705-566-8101, ext. 7911, room 2036, or
  • Manager, Equity, Human Rights, and Accessibility at 705- 566-8101, ext. 7235, room 4089E, or
  • Residence Services Office, 705-566-8101, ext. 7583, or
  • Students’ Administrative Council at 705-566-8101, ext. 7729, room 1164

If an employee of the College witnesses what they believe to be an incident of sexual violence against another member of the College community, the employee is required to report the incident to their supervisor or that person’s supervisor.

All members of the College community who have witnessed sexual violence have the duty to cooperate with a college investigation.

4. What to Do if Someone Discloses Allegations of Sexual Violence

A person may choose to confide in someone about an act of sexual violence, such as a student, instructor, teaching assistant, coach, or staff from residence, Medical Clinic, counselling or security.  An individual who has experienced or been affected by sexual violence may also disclose to staff or faculty members when seeking support and/or academic accommodation.  A supportive response involves:

  • listening without judgement and accepting the disclosure as true;
  • communicating that sexual violence is never the responsibility of the survivor;
  • helping the individual identify and/or access available on or off-campus services, including emergency medical care and counselling;
  • respecting the individual’s right to choose the services they feel are most appropriate and to decide whether to report to the police and/or the Manager, Equity, Human Rights, and Accessibility at 705-566-8101, ext. 7235;
  • recognizing that disclosing can be traumatic and an individual’s ability to recall the events may be limited;
  • respecting the individual’s choices as to what and how much they disclose about their experience; and
  • making every effort to respect confidentiality and anonymity.

If disclosure is made to an employee by a student seeking support or academic accommodation, the employee should refer the student to the Glenn Crombie Centre for Student Support, and work with the Glenn Crombie Centre staff to ensure that the student receives all necessary academic and other accommodations.

If an employee of the College becomes aware of an allegation of sexual violence against another member of the College community, the employee is required to report the incident to their supervisor or that person’s supervisor.

5. Communicating with Individuals who have Experienced Sexual Violence

Sensitive and timely communication with individuals who have experienced or been affected by sexual violence and their family members (when an individual consents to this communication) is a central part of the College’s first response to sexual violence.  To facilitate communication the College will:

  • Ensure that the Manager, Equity, Human Rights and Accommodation is knowledgeable about sexual violence, and is responsible for advocacy on campus on behalf of employees, students or any other member of the College community who have experienced sexual violence;
  • Ensure designated staff members respond in a prompt, compassionate, and personalized fashion; and
  • Ensure that the person who has experienced sexual violence and the respondent are provided with reasonable updates about the status of the College’s investigation of the incident when such investigations are undertaken.

6. Roles and Responsibilities of the College Community

While everyone on campus has a role to play in responding to incidents of sexual violence, some campus members will have specific responsibilities which might include:

  • On-campus health supports to provide psychological and emotional support, assist with safety planning, provide and/or make referrals to other services including medical services;
  • Faculty, staff and administrators to facilitate academic accommodations and other needs of those who have experienced or been affected by sexual violence, e.g., extensions on assignments, continuing studies from home, and dropping courses;
  • Residence staff to facilitate safe living arrangements to the best of their abilities.
  • Human Resources to assist with any incidents relating to employees; and
  • Security to assist with investigations and gathering evidence, to implement measures to reduce sexual violence on campus, and to collaborate with local police where appropriate.

Information about these resources is available at the end of this document; or you can use the link to go directly to Cambrian College Campus and Community Support Services.

7. How Will the College Respond to a Report of Sexual Violence?

Where a complaint of sexual violence has been reported to the College, the College will exercise care to protect and respect the rights of both the complainant and the respondent.  The College understands that individuals who have experienced or been affected by sexual violence may wish to control whether and how their experience will be dealt with by the police and/or the College.  In most circumstances, the person will retain this control.  A person who has experienced sexual violence may choose not to request an investigation and has the right not to participate in any investigation that may occur. However, in certain circumstances, the College may be required to initiate an internal investigation and/or inform the police of the need for a criminal investigation, even without the person’s consent, if the College believes that the safety of other members of the College community is at risk.  The confidentiality and anonymity of the person(s) affected will be prioritized in these circumstances.

A report of sexual violence may also be referred to the police, or to other community resources at the complainant’s request, where the persons involved are not members of the College community or in circumstances where the College is unable to initiate an internal investigation under this Policy.

The College may also decide to use an external investigator when appropriate in the circumstances.

The College adheres to the following in investigating and making decisions about formal complaints. If an entitlement set out below conflicts with something set out in another college policy or procedure, the entitlement set out below shall prevail.

7.1 Where the Respondent is a Student

Sexual violence is a violation of this Policy.  It is considered a serious offence and will be addressed in a manner which is consistent with other serious offences.  Please see the Code of Conduct and related procedures for more details on each disciplinary and appeal process. The Office of Safety and Security is responsible for intake and investigation, and the responsible manager/dean/director/vice president will make decisions with the support of the Manager of Safety and Security.

7.2 Where the Respondent is an Employee

Sexual violence is a violation of Cambrian’s Code of Conduct.  Allegations against employees will be addressed in accordance with the procedures set out in this Policy, and in any applicable collective agreement, and/or other College policies.  If the complaint is sustained following an investigation, the College will decide on the appropriate disciplinary actions consistent with any applicable collective agreement and/or policies regarding discipline.  The Office of Human Resources is responsible for intake and investigation, and the responsible manager/dean/director/vice president will be responsible for decision making with the support of the Director of Human Resources. There is no formal appeal process for employee violations, though college employees who are members of the union may file a grievance under the collective agreement.

7.3 Where the Respondent is not a Student or Employee

Contractors, suppliers, volunteers or visitors who attend on campus will be subject to complaints if they engage in prohibited conduct. Where a complaint against the respondent is substantiated, the College will take appropriate action. When the respondent is not a student or employee, the Manager of Safety and Security is responsible for intake and investigation, and the responsible manager/dean/director/vice president will make decisions with the support of the Manager of Safety and Security. There is not appeal process for supplier, volunteer, or visitor violations.

All contractual relationships entered into by the College will be governed by a standard contract compliance clause stating that contractors must comply with this Policy and the Ontario Human Rights Code, including co-operating in investigations.  Breach of the clause may result in penalties, cancellation, or other sanctions

7.4 Multiple Proceedings

Where criminal and/or civil proceedings are commenced in respect of the allegations of sexual violence, the College shall conduct its own independent investigation into such allegations, and will make its own determination in accordance with its policies and procedures.  Where there is an ongoing criminal investigation, the College will cooperate with the local police.

7.5 Support and Representation

Complainants and respondents may attend meetings with a single (non-participating) support person. The College considers requests to attend meetings with additional support persons and with legal or other representation on a case-by-case basis, with a view to promoting a fair and expeditious process. The college may still question and expect direct answers from an individual who is represented.

7.6 Interim Measures

The rights and privileges of a respondent may be restricted by the College before it makes a final determination about the alleged misconduct. For example, a respondent may be moved from a complainant’s residence, restricted from entering certain or all parts of campus and restricted from attending class.

Such “interim measures” will be imposed only as necessary to meet the needs of complainants and persons who report incidents of sexual violence or otherwise under the College’s Sexual Assault Policy. The College will also take steps to minimize the impact of interim measures on respondents.

Interim measures are not punishment and do not represent a finding of misconduct. The college may impose interim measures immediately, without a hearing. Respondents may ask the College to review a decision to impose interim measures, but only to address the impact of the imposed measure and the preference for other alternatives.

7.7 Outcomes

The College will determine, based on its investigation, what happened and whether it constitutes sexual violence or another form of misconduct. If the College finds there has been misconduct, it will determine the appropriate penalty. Students may face discipline, up to and including expulsion. Employees may face discipline, up to and including discharge. Contractors, suppliers, volunteers and visitors may face penalties, cancellation of contract and other sanctions. The College may also impose non-punitive measure such as but not limited to restorative justice, sensitivity training, coaching, or reintegration plan.

7.8 Written decisions

The College will inform the complainant and respondent of the results of its investigation in writing. The written decision summary will include a brief description of any corrective action that the College has taken or will take as a result of its investigation.

8. Other Resources and Supports Available to You

Violence Intervention and Prevention Program (VIPP) – Health Sciences North
41 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury ON

VIPP is a 24/7 program that provides acute care, treatment and counselling to persons who have been victimized by sexual assault and domestic violence. The program also provides assessment and treatment for child physical abuse.

Services include injury assessment and treatment, medical treatment for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy prevention, photo documentation of injuries, evidence collection (sexual assault kit), counselling and referrals to support services.

VIPP also has a role in community advocacy, education and research to end violence.

YWCA Genevra House

Support Services for women experiencing abuse by their intimate partners.

The team at YWCA Genevra House offers a full range of support programs for the residents of Genevra House and for women in the community. Our programs are available to all women wanting to build a life free from abuse, whether they are staying at Genevra House or living elsewhere. We also provide support to older women experiencing abuse by their live-in caregiver.

All of our programs are based on our belief in a woman’s right to make the choices that are best for her.

Centre Victoria pour Femmes

Par le bias de l’intervention féministe, le Centre Victoria pour femmes offre des services d’intervention individuelle et de groupe ainsi que de l’accompagnement, de l’aiguillage et représentation. La prévention, la sensibilisation et l’éducation sont aussi au coeur de l’intervention et sont intégrés à l’ensemble des moyens utilisés pour prévenir et abolir la violence contre les femmes. Nos services sont offerts principalement aux femmes francophones de 16 ans et plus dans les régions du Grand-Sudbury et de l’Algoma.

Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre

Shkagamik-Kwe Health Centre (SKHC) is an Aboriginal Health Access Centre (AHAC) dedicated to providing equal access to quality health care to First Nation, Métis and Inuit individuals and their families who live in the City of Greater Sudbury, or who reside on Henvey Inlet First Nation, Magnetawan First Nation or Wahnapitae First Nation.

We are a culturally based holistic health centre dedicated to balanced and healthy lifestyles. Programs and services support traditional Aboriginal values encompassing the connectedness of emotional, spiritual, physical and mental well-being.

Sudbury Women’s Centre
324 Elm Street, Sudbury ON

The SWC is a charitable organization dedicated to serving the needs of women in the Greater Sudbury seeking service in a broad range of areas.

Cambrian College – Women’s Resource Centre
705-566-8101 ext. 7426

The Women’s Resource Centre is located within Cambrian College. It provides information and resources to women including staff, faculty and students. We encourage all women to take action in addressing issues that concern them.

Assaulted Women’s Helpline

The helpline is available 24hrs/day, 7 days a week and services are available in 200 languages.

1-855-544-HEAL (4325)

Talk4healing is a free and culturally safe telephone line for Aboriginal women living in Northern Ontario.

Youthline – LGBTQ

The Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Youth Line is a toll-free service provided by youth for youth. We’re here to offer support, information and referrals specific to your concerns. We are here because we want to be there for you – to be part of your community. We may not have lived your experiences exactly, but we can probably relate. We too, are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirit or queer.

Voices for Women – Sudbury Sexual Assault Centre
96 Larch Street, Suite 305 Sudbury, ON P3E 1C1
Hours of Operation Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Voices for Women is a free community-based program that provides services to women 16 years of age and older experiencing trauma from historical sexual violence. If you are a woman who has experienced violence in the past and is looking for services, you may contact VOICES directly to set up an intake. VOICES is a women safe space.

Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Program Sexual Assault Crisis Line for Men
A 24-hour, multilingual, toll-free phone line for immediate crisis and referral

Male survivors of sexual abuse have access to a number of specialized services to help them deal with the impact of abuse, including:

  • individual and group counselling
  • peer support
  • telephone and online counselling
  • referrals to other appropriate community support services to meet other long-term needs that clients may have.

Ministry of the Attorney General Victim Support Line
If you would like to talk with an information and referral counsellor, please call the Victim Support Line at 1-888-579-2888, or 416-314-2447 in the Greater Toronto Area.

Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres

Sexual Assault Centres in Ontario offer confidential and free counselling to survivors of recent and historical sexual assault. You can contact a centre to ask about individual or group counselling for survivors of sexual violence.

You can also reach a counsellor by phone at any time by calling a sexual assault centre crisis support line. These confidential, 24-hour phone-lines offer someone immediate to talk to, crisis counselling, support and information for support allies (i.e. parents, partners or friends of survivors), safety planning, information on victim police reporting and medical options, and strategies for coping with flashbacks, memories and feelings.

Ontario Victim Services
Victim Support Line toll-free at 1-888-579-2888 or 416-314-2447 in the Toronto area
Sudbury and Area Victim Services (SAVS)

Sudbury and Area Victim Services (SAVS) is a community-based service that assists in providing immediate, short-term, emotional, and practical assistance to victims and their families. Further, services are available to any victim or witness who would benefit from additional intervention including, but not limited to incidents of property crime, victims of violence, and victims of circumstance. We have specially trained volunteers who provide confidential assistance 24 hours, 7 days a week.

With a victim’s consent, police will arrange for SAVS staff and/or specially trained volunteers to provide on-site, short-term assistance to victims, and make referrals to community agencies for long-term assistance.

9. Related Policies, Procedures and Protocols