International Students – Apply

Congratulations! You’ve decided to apply to Cambrian College. You are about to embark on an exciting adventure and we wish you both a culturally rewarding experience and academic success!

Apply Now

Pre-Application Considerations
  • Have you planned how you will pay for your studies, travel and living expenses?
  • Are you sure you meet all the admission requirements for your chosen program?
  • If you are a student applying from India or China do you meet Student Partners Program (SPP) requirements?
  • Do you understand that the language of instruction for all Cambrian College programs is English? Students applying to Cambrian programs must have sufficient English language skills in order to fully participate in classroom lectures, assignments, discussions and examinations.

View Refund Policy

English Language Requirements

The language of instruction for all Cambrian College programs is English. Students applying must have sufficient English language skills and experience to fully participate in classroom lectures, assignments, discussions and examinations. Minimum English requirements include:

Diploma / Certificate
6.0 (no band under 5.5)
Diploma / Certificate
550 (paper based test)
80 (internet based test)
Diploma / Certificate
Diploma / Certificate 60
(no band below 50)
Grad Certificate
6.5 (no band under 6.0)
Grad Certificate
570 (paper based test)
84 (internet based test)
Grad Certificate
Grad Certificate 70
(no band below 60)

Note: those requiring intensive upgrading may have to extend their program of study by up to one year and have to pay up to one academic year of additional fees.

Cambrian College has partnered with Humber College to deliver the IELTS English proficiency test at our Sudbury campus. For more information about our on-campus IELTS testing centre, visit


Applications submitted by students from countries outside of Canada or by Canadian residents/ landed immigrants who are submitting international transcripts for evaluation should note that Cambrian College will only accept official notarized documents.

Documents that are submitted in a language other than English must have certified-translation, and a certified credential evaluator must assess all documents in order to be considered. Applications must also include a scanned copy of their up-to-date passport.

Steps to Apply
  • Apply Online Today!
  • Receive your official Letter of Offer
  • Pay your first semester of tuition and ancillary fees in full
  • Collect receipt for your fee payment
  • Apply for your Canadian Study Permit/Visa, as well as your Co-op Study Permit should your program include a mandatory co-op and/or fieldwork placement
  • Submit your application for residence (if applicable)
  • Connect with our international student support office for assistance in finding off-campus housing at (if applicable)

Good luck with your preparations. We look forward to welcoming you to Cambrian College, and Canada soon!

Frequently Asked Questions

Which programs are open to international applicants?
International applicants may apply to any full-time Cambrian program. However, enrolment limits in some programs—such as Health and Trades—may mean increased competition for spots in these programs. In such cases, priority will be given to Canadian applicants. View the list of recommended programs for international students.
Is a Cambrian diploma recognized?
Yes. Cambrian College is a fully-accredited and publicly-funded community college functioning under the direction of the provincial Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities. For this reason, its full-time post-secondary programs have been approved and are fully recognized by the Ministry.
When do classes start?
Most of our programs start in late August, but some start in January with special schedules. Please contact us for additional information.
What is OCAS?
OCAS stands for Ontario College Application Service. As an international student, you may apply directly to the College online. International applicants can apply through the OCAS Cambrian International portal. International applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the Cambrian International office prior to applying to Cambrian.

*Note: the international portal is different than the system for Canadian students, be sure you are on the international portal
Do I have to pay my fees in full?
First year tuition and fees are due prior to student visa application. Should you be refused a study visa, we will refund your tuition and fees.
Can I have my original transcripts returned?
Yes. If you have mailed in your original transcripts and your visa has been refused, please let us know and we would be happy to return your transcripts. For students who have successfully obtained their visa, you can pick up your transcripts when you arrive at Cambrian College in the International Office.
What is an "official letter of admission"?
Once we have received your application fee and assessed your application, we will send you an official letter of admission to use as part of your application for a Study Permit to study in Canada.
What is a Study Permit?
All non-Canadian potential students must apply for a Study Permit to study in Canada. You cannot study in Canada without this visa. This is issued by the Canadian Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission office closest to your place of residence. Applications and further information are available from any Canadian Embassy office or from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
I was issued a Canadian Study Permit what?
Congratulations! You are now ready to make your travel plans. You should plan to arrive one to two weeks prior to the start of classes so that you can settle in and get to know Sudbury and the College before you concentrate on your studies.

Remember to get a connecting flight to the Sudbury airport. You can also take the Greyhound bus from Toronto.

If you would like pick up service at the Sudbury Airport or Greyhound bus terminal, please complete the international arrival information form at least one week prior to your travel arrangements.
Can I start my program late?
On your Official Letter of Admission, we will indicate the expiry date of your letter of acceptance. No student will be permitted to enroll beyond the date indicated.
Can I pay my fees in U.S. funds?
Our preference is Canadian funds, of course. But, if your bank is unable to draw on Canadian funds, please have them convert the payment amount for you according to the exchange rates at the time of payment. It is your responsibility to ensure that the converted amount covers the full tuition owing in Canadian funds despite the difference in exchange rates that we will encounter by the time we receive and deposit your cheque.

Cambrian College utilizes Flywire for all payments made outside of Canada. Payment can be made by bank wire, debit/credit card and other online methods. Founded by a former international student, Flywire’s mission is to save money for international students and their families that would otherwise be lost on bank fees and unfavourable foreign exchange rates.
Can I get financial assistance to study at Cambrian?
International students are not eligible for the same assistance granted to Canadian students; however, Cambrian College is pleased to inform you that we do offer awards and bursaries (typically around $250 - $500/year) specifically for international students. International students may also be eligible for non-specific awards, related to programs, academic performance, community involvement and more. Please note that students are not eligible to apply for awards and bursaries until their second semester of study. All amounts are quoted in Canadian funds and are listed for reference only. They may be subject to change. We will let you know when these awards and bursaries are open for application and how to apply!
Can I work part-time on-campus while studying?
Students have the opportunity to apply to jobs on campus. Currently we have $30,000 for student intern positions on campus specifically for International Students.  The international office makes every effort of inform our students of these opportunities.  We also have an excellent student employment office that can aid students in creating their cover letter, resume and preparing for an interview!

All amounts are quoted in Canadian funds and are listed for reference only. They may be subject to change.
How safe is the Cambrian campus?
Cambrian offers 24-hour, on-campus security services at its Barrydowne campus (where the Barrydowne Residence is located). The campuses are monitored by state-of-the-art video cameras. In Residence, individual bedroom doors are equipped with key-lock systems as are the front doors to each unit and the main building.

A campus watch program is also available at the Barrydowne campus for students who wish to be accompanied to their Residence units from elsewhere on the campus on scheduled evenings. The surrounding areas are also considered very safe locations as is the City of Greater Sudbury in general.